15 April, 2006

"woman's" sizes

I won't deny that fashions in larger sizes have made improvements these past few years. But the fact is that most of those fashions just don't do it for me. I'm a simple girl. I don't like flowery, frilly, polyestery things. It seems that's all there is out there for women of my size.

Or maybe it's just that fashion trends seem to be going in the exact opposite direction from what is reasonable for different body shapes. Fashion doesn't favor curves so much these days.

What I don't get is what forces seem to be pushing and pulling at these fashion trends. Fashion seems to be less and less forgiving of body shapes at the same time that body shapes are changing and requiring more flexibility. The result? I think more and more people feel left behind by fashion. Like fashion just can't offer much to a person of my shape and size.

I don't think I'm the only woman who feels this way. Let's face it, makeover reality shows wouldn't be so prevalent if we didn't feel so powerless in the face of fashion.

When did trying to look good get so complicated?

Why is trying to look good taking up so much space and energy in my mind? Should it really take up that much space?

I do think that fashion trends are not a healthy thing for society at this point. I know that they aren't healthy for me.

2 comments:

LaReinaCobre said...

Right now some kind of animal print bohemian look is in and that is just not right. Years ago I figured out that when I'm heavier I look better in fitted clothes. Hah! Good luck finding those, it seems.

Anonymous said...

Three words: torrid.com.