05 April, 2006

Day 4- Coming out as a fat girl

So just like many other red-blooded young men and women in our society, I chat with many people on the internet. Sometimes I'll chat up a nice fellow and exchange some of my brilliant witty banter with them. Sometimes guys want to meet me. That's when I bluntly throw out the disclaimer: "Please understand, I'm not thin. In general, I'm way more attractive over the internet than in person."

I feel the need to say this because I've heard way too many times about guys who feel that they have been lied to when they finally meet a person, and that person turns out not to be a stick. I started this practice as a social experiment. It acts partially as a litmus test of truth to see what men can and can't handle, but it's also just my way of trying to air out the idea of attractiveness. Just putting it out there takes the pressure off of me (well, not all of it, but some of it).

Yesterday on the radio, I heard an article about an intersting club in Germany called the Ugly Club. Members have various features that could be considered flawed, whether it be weight or the nose, or height, etc. By getting together and calling out these features, they somehow manage to diminish the "ugliness" of the object.

The fact is that it's all perception. Perception is a powerful thing, and it seems that it is a more and more difficult thing to keep a handle on. The growth of electronic communications has allowed us to build people up more and more inside our heads and memories, and less and less in the reality of their being.

So when I "come out" as a fat girl to these guys I chat with, it's my little way of letting some of the air out of the over-inflated perceptions we have of ourselves and others.


1 comment:

LOVE said...

Don't worry dear ...
I will rescue U.
I am a Hero...!

I am REAL .......!